Sunday, November 1, 2009

Cloth Bum


When I found out I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to cloth diaper my baby. The thought of throwing away that much trash, as well as spending thousands of dollars over the diapering life of my child didn't appeal. Now there are a LOT of choices out there for cloth diapers, and a whole code that goes along with them. AIOs, prefolds, pockets, one-size... it's a bit intimidating. And then once you decide on a kind of diaper, there are a TON more brands of each kind.

So luckily, after researching cloth diapers online I came upon Soft Cloth Bunz (now Diaper Junction), and their exhaustive resources. They have articles on every kind of cloth diapering method you can think of, how many you need and how to take care of them. And their customer service is fantastic. Simple Mom also did a week-long overview of cloth diapering, and got me over my fear of prefolds and covers.
After reading up, we decided that we liked the sound of the one-sized All In Ones (AIOs). They seemed to be the option that we would most likely be able to stick with: the perfect balance of convenience for mom & dad and comfort for baby, and we would only have to buy one set of diapers to last from newborn to toddler. Our first purchase was a medley of different kinds of AIOs, and then after looking them all over, we decided that the BumGenius diapers were the ones for us.

Like I said above, I also got over my aversion to the prefolds and covers, so we picked up a couple of those as well. They're much more economical, and you can sometimes use the cover for more than one wear. So after testing those out, they work just fine too, but when it comes time to change a diaper, I find myself grabbing the AIOs instead of the prefolds. They're not that much more work, but they are kind of a pain to rinse.

And speaking of rinsing, one tool we picked up that makes cloth diapering even more manageable is the mini sprayer. No toilet dunking for us!
So after a month of cloth diapering, I can happily say that: 1. we're still cloth diapering (and have yet to use a disposable), and 2. our baby seems to love them. It takes a little planning to make sure that she'll have a clean diaper to wear, which means we do a lot more laundry, but it's easy laundry. And best of all, she's just so cute with her big poufy cloth diaper bum!

3 comments:

  1. We used cloth with our first and I loved it too. I did a little bit with our second, but we didn't have our own washer, so that made it so much more difficult. So glad to hear that you've figured out something that works for you! Go clothe diapering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the baby! How exciting!!

    We're using bum genius, too, and I wondered about prefolds. Glad to know you still like the BGs. And we skip the rinsing, just toss dirty diapers in the dry pail, and let the washer do the rinsing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have used cloth from when she was still in the hospital. Fourteen months later we are still loving it, still saving a ton of money, and still thinking she is adorable as can be in her cloth diapers.

    We have every kind of cloth diaper you can imagine since I review them for my store and for http://www.clothdiaperreviews.com. We still love pockets and prefolds with covers.

    ReplyDelete