Monday, August 27, 2007

R is for...


Records. There's something about the scratchy sound and the whole process of getting a record into the player that is so wonderfully complex. My sister and I used to listen to my parents' records, and some of our favorites were Peter, Paul and Mary, Maria Muldaur and Jim Kweskin and the Jug Band. My parents got me a old fashioned-looking stereo with a record player when I moved into my first apartment by myself (you can see it in the second picture of this post). My first purchase was Ike and Tina Turner, and my collection has slowly grown, mostly from thrift store and yard sale purchases, and some Herb Alpert and Johnny Mathis donations from my parents. Mike dusted off this meager collection of records recently, and has been playing Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years round the clock (see his Current Book and Music Obsessions). This past weekend I picked up a couple more Paul Simon and Simon and Garfunkel records to mix it up a bit.

2 comments:

  1. my sisters and I used to listen to Helen Reddy on the record player when we were little. I have picked up a few of the records (one for one sister and one for me) while thrifting. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought I was the only person who liked Herb Alpert - Love the cover of Whipped Cream.

    ReplyDelete