Monday, July 23, 2007

Bag Month

I finished the linen tote just in time for Sew Mama Sew's Bag Month!


So using a pattern I drafted from this Japanese craft book (see this post for more pictures of the book), I turned a linen shirt and a blue cotton shirt into this...


Construction was pretty simple, even though I didn't have any directions. This was my first project from japanese instructions, and it turned out just fine. The diagrams were surprisingly helpful. My only problem was my lack of a metric ruler, so I had to use the other side of my measuring tape to draft the pattern, which got a little tricky at times. The linen was very easy to work with, especially around the curve of the bottom of the bag, it eased in perfectly. The only thing I would do differently next time would be to add interfacing to give it some more body. With the lightweight linen and cotton it's a bit floppy, but it will work perfectly carrying the new Harry Potter book to the pool, or my fruits and veggies home from the Farmers' Market.

9 comments:

  1. I like it! I love the subtle color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that bag is amazing - so so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! I love the fabric combos and the pockets on the side are genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tote!!!!!!

    Gosh and Christmas is just around the corner.

    LU!!!!!!!!!!!JcP

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable is that rouching at the top? Seriously. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous! I wish I could "read" (guess?) Japanese books' instructions that well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so great! I love the details of it.

    ReplyDelete