Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Raffle is a four letter word


I finished the binding on the quilt, Mike and I (mostly Mike) put together some really great looking tickets and fliers, I took it to work and everyone loved it. We started selling tickets and then.... wait a minute! Raffles are illegal for non-registered charitable groups in the state of California! Yay! All that work for nothing. And we had to collect all the tickets and fliers back from everyone. I was devastated. Who knew that raffles were so bad? Not me. That is a major first-time charitable quilt organizer faux-pas.

Luckily we were able to change the process around, after a LOT of work. We are now working directly with the Susan G. Komen foundation, and we're going to be able to have a drawing for the quilt on behalf of the foundation. I'm glad to have it all sorted, but wow, what a stressful day!
But what cheered me up was a visit from my favorite little bird on the window ledge by my desk...

It just sang its little heart out, and lightened mine a bit.

7 comments:

  1. Sarah... how annoying!!! It's the people who cheat that caused the government to need to make laws like this.... those darned cheaters make it harder for the legal ones to try to do something good! I'm so glad it worked out for you though!!! What a headache! And what a nice end to your day too.... the singing bird I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is so beautiful! You should be very proud! I'm sorry to hear about the dumb raffle law :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. the quilt is amazing! I love it.

    thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is stunning! I have been searching for good quilt inspiration the past few days, I am in love with this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for you compliments on the quilt! It was fun and easy to put together. I want to make one for myself now. It's so great to throw all kinds of fabrics together at random and for it to look good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pain in the... well at least you will be able to go through with the raffle after all. It's a shame about the wasted time and energy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously: your blog subtitles stands for "attemps" at crafting but this is much more than an attempt... it's a real achivement! It looks g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s, I love it!

    ReplyDelete