Thursday, March 8, 2007

I love freezer paper

I’m way behind and running to catch up with the bandwagon on this one. I first saw freezer paper stencils at Angry Chicken Her directions are short and sweet, with a great tip about putting another piece of freezer paper on the inside to keep the paint from marking the back of a t-shirt and to keeping the fabric straight. (There’s a much more detailed tutorial here.) Mike, the kids and I did a test run, and it is super fun and easy!

I did a cursive “S” swan, the one that I used to draw all the time when I was first learning to write in cursive.



Ali loves her pets (she only has one, but is hopeful), and now she shows it.




This was the first appearance of Devin’s “Christmas Tree and Balloon” design, which is now his signature motif.



Mike, of course, did something obscure and science-y. If anyone can tell me what that is, I’ll send you a fabulous prize. Here’s a hint... it’s upside down. (Hope I didn’t give it away.)




We used acrylic paint instead of fabric paint and I forgot to heat set, but after a couple washings, the paint has faded a tad, but still looks good. Next time I’ll try heat setting the acrylic and see if that holds the paint a bit more, but if that doesn’t work I’ll go out and buy some fabric paints.

Ever since my first stenciling attempt, I look at my wardrobe in an entirely different way. Hmmm... I say to myself... that t-shirt is kind of plain, it could use a raccoon Mario, or how about a drunk elephant? These Sakura blossoms would look great on my pants… Nothing is safe! I have a bunch of fabric set aside to make skirts, and now I want to decorate them with octopuses and chickens. And since you can’t have enough t-shirts, I know a girl and a boy who would just love monkey and transformer adorned tees.

Angry Chicken even stenciled her quilt! This quilt goes right along with my non-traditional quilt craving.

If that’s not enough inspiration for you, check out the other 642 pictures at the Flickr pool.

3 comments:

  1. Your boyfriends shirt looks like some sort of weird engineering thing to me. I would say parallel circuit, but I don't really know what I am talking about. I have dated (married to) lots of dorks, so I should know. I am embarassed that I don't. The little girl is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close, but it's not engineering, it's physics...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tshirts look great! I have no idea what the physics symbol is, though.

    ReplyDelete