Friday, March 16, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I know, I'm a day early, but we're in full celebration-mode at work. My boss goes all out and throws a party, and we're the little leprechauns that make everything happen. We've got everything from a Irish flag made out of crepe paper (his insistence) to little pots of gold(fish crackers) to every kind of sugary goodness you can think of. I'm looking forward to my boss's tassies, which he makes with pecans and walnuts. Yum!

After work we're heading to Murphys for the weekend to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with drinking, eating and general merriment! Mike and I and some friends have rented a cottage within stumbling distance of downtown, so that we can all enjoy the yummy wineries. I'm sure I'll come home with a couple of bottles of Zucca wine, my favorite not only because it's tasty, but because it's under the ground in what looks like a cellar, the people who work there are lovely, and they have chocolate and cheese fondu to munch while you taste. Then we're going to go exploring Mercer Caverns on Sunday. I'm so excited!

So of course, yesterday I decided to make myself a skirt to match a green shirt that I'm planning on wearing on Saturday. I went to get some fabric and couldn't decided between two, so I got them both and made a reversible skirt. I drafted up a simple pattern, but I overcompensated for my constant "this is too small" frustration, and it's too big. Not too too big, I'll still wear it, but after this weekend I'll probably tear is apart and change it a bit. The elastic I used is too wide, so it looks a little wonky. And one of the layers is stretchy twill, so when I tear it apart I think I'll turn it into a more fitted skirt and put in a zipper.

While I was waiting for the fabric to wash and dry, I worked on a sweater I ruined by spilling something down the front of it. I cut it down the middle and turned it into a cardigan, wrapping the raw edges in ribbon. I had to make it a bit of a v-neck to cut the stain out, and I think I'll put a single button, hook & eye or frog closure at the bust.

Sorry that I don't have pics of either of these, but I'll post them soon. I didn't finish these projects until after midnight last night, so I wasn't much in the mood to take pics of them.

I hope everyone enjoys their corned beef and cabbage, and has a green beer! Or two!

Oh, and check out the hilarious travels of Mimi, the Hello Kitty sewing machine on Happy Zombie! Starting in China, she's gone to London, Amsterdam, Paris and Sydney. It's not every day that you read about a sewing machine craving Easy Mac after spending some time in an Amsterdam cafe. I can't wait to see what Monica and Mimi create together!

No comments:

Post a Comment